After completing the purchase of Twitter, Elon Musk fires executives

Elon Musk has completed his $44 billion deal to buy Twitter, a source familiar with the deal told Reuters. CNN this Thursday (27). The billionaire fired CEO Parag Agrawal and two other executives, according to two people familiar with the decision.

The closing of the deal removes a cloud of uncertainty that has hung over Twitter’s business, employees and shareholders for much of the year. After initially agreeing to buy the company in April, Musk spent months trying to get out of the deal, first citing concerns about the number of bots on the platform and later allegations raised by a company whistleblower.

But the acquisition of Musk and the immediate layoffs of some of its top executives now raise a host of new questions for the future of the social media platform and the many corners of society impacted by it.

The businessman said he plans to rethink Twitter’s content moderation policies in the service of a more maximalist approach to “freedom of speech.”

He also said he disagrees with the network’s practice of permanent bans for those who repeatedly break its rules, raising the possibility that several previously banned users could resurface on the platform.

Perhaps more immediately, many will be watching to see how long Musk can let former President Donald Trump return to the platform, as he previously said he would.

By taking these steps, Musk could single-handedly bring down the media and political ecosystem, reshape public discourse online, and disrupt the nascent sphere of conservative-leaning social media properties that have sprung up largely in response to complaints about bans and restrictions on the internet. Twitter and other conventional services.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like