At least 30 dead, 400,000 displaced by Nigeria floods

At least 30 people have died and 400,000 have been displaced by widespread flooding that hit the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri this week, emergency services said Wednesday night. Thousands of homes were flooded on Tuesday after the Alaou Dam broke on the Ngada River, 20km south of Maiduguri. Yesterday, a day after torrential rains and the breach of the dam, a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency (NEMA), Ezekiel Manzo, said more than 400,000 people had been displaced and “at least 30 dead”. The final toll could be heavier, warned NEMA director general Zubaida Umar as rescuers continued their work in the area. Maiduguri, the regional capital of Borno State, is experiencing one of its worst floods in 30 years, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said. “It’s horrible, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, yeah […]
Source: News Beast

You may also like