At summit, Lula condemns invasion of the Mexican embassy in Ecuador

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (PT) condemned, this Tuesday (16), during the Virtual Summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), the Ecuadorian police invasion of the Mexican embassy in Quito, in April 5th. In the action, the country's former vice president Jorge David Glas Espinel was arrested.

“What happened in Quito, on the 5th, is simply unacceptable and does not just affect Mexico, it affects all of us. A formal apology from Ecuador is a first step in the right direction,” said Lula.

In his speech, the Brazilian agreed with Bolivia's proposal to form a commission made up of CELAC countries, to monitor the evolution of the situation and the health of former vice-president Jorge Glas.

Lula also expressed support for the appeal presented by Mexico to the International Court of Justice. The request is for Ecuador's membership to be suspended until the South American country issues a public apology.

Lula also defended that the resolution of the conflict should be “based on dialogue and diplomacy” and take place through the Community. According to the president, “this is fundamental for CELAC to continue being the integration mechanism”.

For the president “absolutely nothing justifies the scene we saw in Quito”.

The episode was seen by Mexico as a violation of international law and Mexican sovereignty. At the time, President López Obrador said he had instructed his Foreign Minister to suspend diplomatic relations with Ecuador. Since then, a diplomatic crisis has ensued.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like