Seven Azerbaijani soldiers were killed in clashes with Armenian forces near the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh on Tuesday, the country’s Defense Ministry said today.
Ten Azeri soldiers were also wounded in the clashes, the deadliest since the end of the war between Yerevan and Baku last year, according to the same source.
Armenia, for its part, said one soldier was killed, 24 were missing and 13 were taken prisoner during the clashes. Yerevan also announced that it had lost two military positions, which were occupied by Baku.
Clashes erupted yesterday, Tuesday, after weeks of escalating border tensions between the two countries, which claim control of the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
Last Tuesday night, Yerevan announced that a ceasefire had been reached after Russian mediation. Armenia and Azerbaijan blame each other for the new cycle of violence.
These conflicts demonstrate how fragile the balance is in the Caucasus region. These are the fiercest battles in the region since the end of a conflict last year, which lasted six weeks. In fact, despite the growth in the region of Russian troops who have undertaken to maintain peace and who have been in the region since November 2020 as part of the ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan negotiated by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Last year’s conflict claimed the lives of more than 6,500 people, while Armenia was forced to cede many areas around Nagorno-Karabakh to Azerbaijan.
The Armenian-dominated Nagorno-Karabakh region seceded from Azerbaijan after the fall of the USSR, sparking a first war in the 1990s that killed 30,000 people and displaced hundreds of thousands.
Source From: Capital