LAST UPDATE: 23:13
By Dimitris Gatsios
The summit of the Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, with the President of the United States of America, Joe Biden, is in progress for a few minutes at the White House.
Welcoming the Prime Minister at the White House, the President of the United States noted: “We are pleased to have you here. The Greek-US relationship and cooperation is more important than ever. The democratic ideals we all share began in Greece. “They inspired us, and for centuries they gained more power. The barbaric attack on Ukraine is a threat to democracy. Thank you very much for your leadership. We will talk about the war in Ukraine, energy, security, climate change.”
During his introductory speech, Kyriakos Mitsotakis reiterated that Greece is a pillar of stability in the wider region and that it is ready to accept other American investments. At the same time, the Prime Minister said: “I celebrate with you the 201st anniversary of our National Polygenesis. Your ancestors were inspired by Ancient Greece, as well as ours by the American Revolution. Our two countries are always on the right side of history. “We fought two World Wars together and now we are in solidarity in Ukraine as well. … Good relations are not only based on defense, but also on trade and partnership.”
In a geopolitical context shaped by the implications of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on the security, energy and economic fronts, Mr Mitsotakis and Mr Biden will discuss a wide range of issues. And the prime minister, in this summit, is expected to bring to the forefront a changing Greece, which is a stable ally and partner in NATO and the European Union.
A credible Greece that promotes reforms, attracts investment and is a strong force for stability and security in a critical area of the world map. In the Balkans and the Eastern Mediterranean…
In the White House, Mr. Mitsotakis and Mr. Biden discuss, among others,:
– Developments on the Ukrainian front.
– The enlargement of the Alliance, with the entry of Finland and Sweden.
– The energy and the movements of our country that will turn it into a hub for the transportation of natural gas from the Middle East and the Eastern Mediterranean.
– The economy and investments, with Mr. Mitsotakis conveying the message that Greece is an attractive investment destination.
– The further strengthening of defense cooperation, with a view to focus on the possibility of purchasing an F-35 or Greece’s participation in the co-production program.
– The challenges of Turkey. Mr Mitsotakis is expected to brief Biden on Ankara’s crime waves and overflights in the Aegean, which not only do not serve what was discussed in Istanbul, but also test and jeopardize NATO cohesion at a critical time.
Live | Statements by the President of the United States Joe Biden. https://t.co/rQYfWx6B4c
– Prime Minister GR (@PrimeministerGR) May 16, 2022