untitled design

Biden’s son ends attempt to retrial illegal gun possession case

Hunter Biden, the son of US President Joe Biden, has withdrawn his motion seeking a new trial on federal gun charges after government prosecutors said the request was based on a “ridiculous story” and a misunderstanding of the appeals process.

Lawyers requested a new trial last month because they said the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia did not give the lower court formal approval, known as a mandate, to proceed with the trial after rejecting appeals.

Federal prosecutors said in a court filing Monday (8) that Hunter Biden had no basis for his argument, noting that the denial of his appeal was clearly stamped as “certified order issued in lieu of mandate” under the clerk’s signature.

“Defendant’s motion is without merit and is based on his apparent misunderstanding of appellate practice and his failure to read the Third Circuit’s orders,” the court filing from attorneys for Special Counsel David Weiss said.

Prosecutors described Hunter Biden’s arguments about the lack of formal approval to proceed with the trial as a “ridiculous story of the mystery of missing warrants.”

Lawyers for the president’s son noted that they withdrew their motion for a new trial after the special counsel explained the Third Circuit’s procedure.

Hunter Biden has denied wrongdoing and his lawyers have said he will appeal his conviction.

He will be sentenced later this year and could face up to 25 years in prison, but legal experts said he may not face jail time as he had no criminal record.

Hunter Biden became the first child of a sitting US president to be convicted of a crime on June 11 after a jury found him guilty on all three charges related to lying about illegal drug use when he bought a gun in 2018.

He still faces a trial on tax charges in September.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like

Get the latest

Stay Informed: Get the Latest Updates and Insights

 

Most popular