A tragedy for the Afghans was described by the High Representative of the European Union, Josep Borrell, what has happened in their country lately. Speaking at the plenary session of the European Parliament in Strasbourg, he also spoke of a setback for the West, noting how the situation in Afghanistan possibly bring about changes in international relations.
Referring to transitional government announced by Taliban, Mr. Borel noted that it is neither comprehensive nor representative, while it includes persons who are on the UN sanctions lists, as broadcast by APE BPE.
In addition, he stressed that “for Afghanistan itself, a dramatic humanitarian crisis is ahead: food prices are rising and the economic system is in free fall. “
The Commission has decided to quadruple humanitarian aid to 200 million euros, said the High Representative of the EU He added that in order to exert influence, there is no choice but to negotiate with the Taliban, but made it clear that “not means recognition “.
“We agreed with the EU Foreign Ministers that the level and nature of our commitment will depend on the actions of the new government for the following five benchmarks:
- The commitment that Afghanistan will not act as a base for exporting terrorism to other countries.
- Respect for human rights, especially of women, the rule of law and freedom of the media.
- The establishment of a comprehensive and representative transitional government. That being said, the initial indications are not positive.
- Free access for humanitarian aid.
- “Allowing the departure of foreign nationals and Afghans who are in danger and want to leave the country,” said Josep Borrell.
He added that a European one is under consideration presence in Kabul, coordinated by the European External Action Service, provided that the safety requirements.
Josep Borrell stressed its importance cooperation with neighboring countries in Afghanistan, but also “their regional factors».
He also said it was agreed that the European External Action Service would help co-ordinate EU efforts. and Member States for enhancement of regional action.
“I also intend to convene a regional platform for cooperation between Afghanistan’s neighbors, at ministerial level“, Stressed Mr. Borel.