Categories: World

Candidate killed in Ecuador had denounced threats he received from a criminal group

Candidate killed in Ecuador had denounced threats he received from a criminal group

Fernando Villavicenciocandidate for the presidency of Ecuador murdered on the night of this Wednesday (9), denounced in an interview last week that he was being threatened by a cartel in the country.

“Three days ago, a militant from Manabí [cidade do Equador] received visits from several messengers from Alias ​​Fito [líder do cartel Los Choneros] to tell him that if I kept mentioning Los Choneros, they would break me,” he said.

Los Choneros are a criminal organization from Ecuador that emerged in Manabí and is formed by two gangs called Fatales and Las Águilas. They work with extortion, drug trafficking and homicides.

The statement was made during the Vis a Vis program, presented by journalist Janet Hinostroza, on Wednesday (2).

After the threat, Villavicencio said that he would not suspend his election campaign and that he would file a complaint against the threats.

He also previously held Los Choneros responsible for any possible attack that might occur against him, his family and team.

Villavicencio also said, in the interview, that he used the minimum of official state protection, but refused bulletproof vests.

“A brave president has to show his face, like his people. People are not wearing bulletproof vests. Society is on its knees before organized crime. And the worst thing that can happen to a candidate, a politician, is to be afraid. The moment criminal groups subjugate people, democracy and the Republic end.”

Source: CNN Brasil