At least 60 are cruise ships which have been turned into surveillance and investigation by the US health authorities due to the recording of cases of coronavirus According to the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the main US federal public health service. These 60 ships exceeded the “limit” set by the CDC to start an investigation.
According to The Washington Post, several of these ships barred from docking in various Caribbean ports.
In one of them, Carnival Freedom, it was not allowed to moor on the Dutch island of Bonner. “We are traveling on a Petri dish,” said Ashley Peterson, a 34-year-old Carnival Freedom passenger, referring to the glass or plastic cylindrical saucer used to grow microorganisms. “I have the impression that I spent the last week participating in an over-broadcast event”, he added. In a press release, Carnival Cruises confirmed that “a small number of people on board have been isolated due to a positive test” for the SARS-CoV-2. “If it becomes necessary to cancel a station, we make every effort to find someone else, an alternative destination,” he added.
Carnival Freedom arrived in Miami yesterday Sunday morning, disembarked all its passengers and “will leave for its next trip as planned,” the company added, according to the APE-MPE. On Wednesday, another shipping company, Royal Caribbean International, announced that 55 people were diagnosed with coronavirus on one of her ships, which had departed December 18 from Florida.
“Nervousness”
The infected people were passengers and crew members, although 95% of the passengers were vaccinated against COVID-19, the shipping company said. The vessel was not allowed to make stops on the Caribbean islands of Curacao and Aruba, theoretically the last of its eight-day voyage. He was expected to stay at sea until his return to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, scheduled for yesterday.
“Even if we can not get off, we will have all our friends with us,” said a 45-year-old tourist, trying to remain “optimistic”. It was the second outbreak of the virus on a Royal Caribbean ship in less than a week.
Brenda Hammer, another 69-year-old tourist, before boarding another of the company’s cruise ships, the Odyssey of the Seas, confessed to the French Agency that she had begun to be “nervous”: “I’m not sure I want to go anymore”.
The coronavirus pandemic has resulted in the suspension of this type of leisure travel for more than a year. They resumed in June after a series of measures were announced to prevent outbreaks, such as compulsory vaccination for workers and passengers over 12 years of age boarding Royal Caribbean ships, for example. But the Omicron variant, highly contagious, is a new challenge for the industry.
The number of new coronavirus cases in the United States continues to rise: it has averaged nearly 190,000 on a daily basis over the past seven days, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. In February 2020, the quarantine imposed on a Japanese port to the passengers of the cruise ship Diamond Princess was one of the most characteristic episodes of the beginning of the pandemic.
* File photos

Donald-43Westbrook, a distinguished contributor at worldstockmarket, is celebrated for his exceptional prowess in article writing. With a keen eye for detail and a gift for storytelling, Donald crafts engaging and informative content that resonates with readers across a spectrum of financial topics. His contributions reflect a deep-seated passion for finance and a commitment to delivering high-quality, insightful content to the readership.