Prince Harry will have to pay 48,447 pounds (approximately R$300,000) in compensation to the editors of Mail on Sunday, after losing a legal battle for libel against the British tabloid. The information is from the news agency AFP.
The lawsuit filed by Harry came about because of an article published in Mail on Sundayabout the changes that took place in the security of the prince and his family, which took place after he decided to leave royalty and moved to the United States with his wife Meghan Markle and their children Archie and Lilibet.
According to the Duke of Sussex’s defense, the article falsely suggested that he was “lying” and had “cynically” tried to manipulate public opinion.
Harry is challenging in court the suspension of police protection for him and members of his family, which took place in February this year. The prince stepped down from royal duties in 2020.
The tabloid report said the duke “tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards secret” but that his “PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
The British justice system ordered him to compensate the newspaper by December 29th.
The Home Office – the department responsible for policing, immigration and security – decided earlier this year that Harry would no longer automatically receive personal police security while in the UK, even if he covered the costs himself.
King Charles’ youngest son was given permission last year to challenge that decision in court.
Shaheed Fatima, Harry’s lawyer, who did not appear in court, said he was subjected to illegal and unfair treatment.
Source: CNN Brasil

I’m Robert Neff, a professional writer and editor. I specialize in the entertainment section, providing up-to-date coverage on the latest developments in film, television and music. My work has been featured on World Stock Market and other prominent publications.