The floods in the central China at least 33 people have been killed and eight others are still missing, according to a new report released by Chinese state television today.
The record rains that hit the big city of Chenzhou (central) on Tuesday night caused floods in a part of the metro and on the streets, where hundreds of cars were swept away.
The latest tally in Henan Province, of which Chenzhou is the capital, puts the death toll at 33 and eight missing since July 16, according to CCTV, which cited local disaster services.
An earlier official report, released Wednesday, put the death toll at 25 and seven missing.
Some 376,000 people had to be evacuated, CCTV said.
More than 2,000,000 acres of crops have been flooded and the estimated damage to property so far is as high as 1.22 billion yuan (160 million euros), according to the same source.
Chinese President Xi Jinping said yesterday that the disaster was “extremely serious” and called for a mobilization to address the Henan crisis.