Derek Chauvin Trial: The Evidence Is “overwhelming”, Says Joe Biden

Our Joe Biden, the evidence against Derek Chauvin is “overwhelming”. The American president invited himself, Tuesday, April 20, to the trial of this white policeman accused of the murder of African-American George Floyd. “I pray the verdict is correct. In my opinion, it is overwhelming. I wouldn’t say that if the jury hadn’t stepped down to deliberate, ”the head of state said from the Oval Office on the second day of the jury’s deliberations in Minneapolis.

The day before, Joe Biden had spoken on the phone with relatives of George Floyd, according to the White House. “I got to know George’s family […]. It’s a good family, ”he added, evoking“ the anguish ”of waiting for the jury’s decision for the latter. Then Democratic candidate for the US presidential election, the former vice-president under Barack Obama had already met the Floyd family in June 2020, in Houston, before the funeral of the forties. Joe Biden knows “what it’s like to lose a family member and he knows what we’re going through,” a brother of George Floyd, Philonise, told NBC on Tuesday morning. As a reminder, the American president lost his first wife and their daughter in a car accident, then his son Beau, who died of cancer.

A trial under very high tension

In Minneapolis, the twelve jurors were isolated from the world to debate behind closed doors. They must decide whether the 45-year-old police officer is guilty of murder, manslaughter and intentional assault resulting in the death of George Floyd, whom he arrested with three other officers for a minor offense. The outcome of this extraordinary trial, scrutinized around the world, raises the concern of the authorities, who fear violence if the police officer is acquitted. National Guard soldiers were thus deployed in the city.


You may also like