Dino says that the situation in the RN is under “progressive control”; state still records attacks

In a press conference this Monday (20), the Minister of Justice and Public Security, Flávio Dino, said that the situation in Rio Grande do Norte is under “progressive control”. The state has suffered from attacks by factions that set fire to cars, businesses and public and private buildings in several cities.

“We went from hundreds of attacks to less than ten, which I call progressive control”, he said.

On Sunday (19), the Secretariat for Public Security counted seven criminal actions, a 93% reduction in occurrences related to acts compared to last Tuesday (14), when the attacks began.

The decrease occurred after the reinforcement of almost 500 men from the National Force and from other states.

Dino also highlighted the investments that will be made in the state’s security sector. “More than R$5 million has already been used in support of Rio Grande do Norte”, he said. “And this year, through the National Secretariat for Public Security and Criminal Security, we are going to invest another BRL 100 million.”

“We are also allocating resources to the penitentiary system for the construction of a new unit and expansion of vacancies in existing units, work program, purchase of equipment”, said the minister.

He also said that trying to find a person responsible for the crisis in the state is an “unnecessary debate”. And that he believes that structural investments will prevent crimes from happening again in the future.

As the state still suffers from attacks, Governor Fátima Bezerra (PT) stressed that the National Force will remain in RN “for as long as necessary to restore peace”.

More than 130 suspects were arrested

According to the security forces operating in the RN, 137 suspects have been arrested so far – 6 of them teenagers, 14 recaptured fugitives from justice and 3 users of electronic anklets.

Also seized were 38 firearms, 106 explosive devices and 28 gallons of fuel. In addition to 14 motorcycles and two cars.

Money, drugs and ammunition were also seized.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like