Eleven new coronavirus cases in Victoria while Melbourne is in lockdown

The largest increase in the number of local infections since COVID-19 Within a week, Victoria announced in Australia today, as the authorities are moving fast to trace the source of the delta strain that was found among the infections.

Authorities reported 11 new cases of infection, up from just two detected the previous day, but said all were linked to existing outbreaks as residents of the Melbourne state capital waited to find out if the prolonged lockdown had ended. scheduled for Thursday night.

“Nothing has come in or gone out of the table,” Brad Sutton, Victoria’s chief physician, told reporters in Melbourne when asked if some areas of Melbourne would remain in a lockdown, while others would be closed. its gradual lifting.

Melbourne entered today the 11th day of the implementation of the hard lockdown, after locating the variant Delta strain on Friday, which has been announced to be more easily transmitted by some other strains.

The numbers of new cases of infection increase the total number of infections transmitted locally since the last outbreak in Victoria, Australia’s second most populous state, to 83, according to AMPE.

Today’s figures include two incidents reported yesterday, Sunday, which were recorded after midnight.

All of today’s local broadcast incidents are linked to existing floods, officials said.

Its variant Delta strain coronavirus evaluated by the World Health Organization (WHO) among the four variants of particular concern, because of evidence that it is more easily transmitted.

Australia has largely curbed previous pandemic outbreaks with restrictions on regional borders by implementing tough social distancing measures to keep COVID-19 infection rates relatively low, with just over 30,150 total cases. and 910 deaths.

About 20% of its adult population Australia has received a first dose of vaccine, and more than five million have received two doses of the vaccine.

Victoria went on a tough lockdown for about three months last year to fight a second wave of COVID-19 infections that killed more than 800 people, about 90% of all COVID-19 deaths in Australia by the onset of the pandemic.