Elton John quits Twitter and says platform policy change allows misinformation

Elton John has become the latest celebrity to say he is leaving Twitter following Elon Musk’s acquisition of the social media platform.

The 75-year-old star announced his departure from the social media platform on Friday (9), and said goodbye to his 1.1 million followers on Twitter:

“All my life I’ve tried to use music to bring people together. However, it saddens me to see how misinformation is being used to divide our world.”

“I have decided to no longer use Twitter, due to the recent policy change that will allow misinformation to flourish unchecked,” he concluded.

THE CNN has reached out to John’s representatives for further comment.

Musk, who has repeatedly questioned Twitter’s commitment to free speech, has made a number of controversial changes to the platform since he bought it for $44 billion in October.

The Tesla CEO has faced a backlash after initiating mass layoffs, reinstating the accounts of controversial figures including former President Donald Trump, and reversing a policy of Covid-19 misinformation.

The musician’s departure comes amid growing concerns over the rise of hate speech on Twitter.

Former White Stripes frontman Jack White said last month he was removing his label from the platform, writing in an Instagram post that Musk’s decision to reinstate former President Donald Trump’s account was the last straw. .

“The View” co-host Whoopi Goldberg announced that she is “doing away with Twitter” during an episode of the ABC talk show, after listing all the controversial announcements Musk has made since completing his acquisition.

(Posted by Carolina Farias)

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like