DEMO in the difficult decade, 2011-2019 based on the triptych investment – extroversion – production managed and resisted the crisis, quadrupling its production capacity and increasing its turnover mainly due to its export potential.
But in 2020 a new crisis and this time a global one, the COVID pandemic, came to add to the difficult investment landscape in the industry. DEMO, with its strong productive capabilities, starred in this effort. It covered not only the needs of the Greek market, but also the urgent needs of other health systems, such as England, France, Germany and even Brazil and Bolivia. All this experience of the pandemic has led to a review of the attitude of the European Union, which is now trying to restore drug production in Europe so that member countries are no longer dependent on imports from third countries and do not suffer from serious shortages again. in medicines and materials. DEMO, already today one of the largest producers of injectables in Europe, is coming to fill a significant part of this gap, with its investments in the production of raw materials and pharmaceuticals of chemical origin.
The projects have already begun to take shape, in the fields of raw material production, expansion of final production, research and biotechnology. The total investments of the company in Greece will give added value to the economy, the labor market, the Greek medicine and the science, at the same time marking the new chapter in the export activity of DEMO with further strengthening of the trust internationally.
* DEMO completes within the first quarter of 2022, two production units, in Kryoneri, Attica, to expand its production of injectable antibiotics in plastic containers and lyophilized products.
* At the same time, it is constructing a new industrial complex in the Industrial Area of Tripoli, Arcadia. This new industrial complex will consist of 4 units for the production of raw materials and 6 units for the production of pharmaceuticals. The campus will have a total building area of 74,000 square meters and a production of 200 tons of raw materials and 250 million pieces of final pharmaceuticals per year. With the completion of this investment, and in full operation, 450 new jobs are expected to be created.
* In addition, the company proceeded in 2021 with the construction of a new Research and Development Center in Thermi, Thessaloniki. The new Research Center, with an area of 2,400 sq.m., will host R&D teams for raw materials and final products of chemical origin, which will be produced in Tripoli and will employ 75 young highly qualified scientists in full operation. The goal of the company is with the completion of the new research center, at the end of 2021, to develop 25 new products per year, ending in 2027 to have completed the development of 125 new formulations.
With these investments in production, a new branch is created that never existed in Greece, the production of raw materials for medicines. Also, DEMO acquires the ability to produce all the pharmaceutical forms and categories of injections that exist today, while the size of the production facilities in Tripoli is such that it can cover 20% of the needs of the Nursing Institutions all over Europe for the products that will produces.
In both new technologies and biosimilar products, however, DEMO is leading the way. Our country lags far behind the rest of Europe as any activity related to the direct industrial development and production of biological medicinal therapeutic products is virtually zero. As a result, Greece is largely deprived of the multiple benefits that the biotechnology sector could contribute to the country’s economic activity. enough, it created a deficit of know-how but also the flight abroad of those scientists who wanted to engage and work in this field.
* DEMO will create a modern Biotechnology Research Center in Kryoneri, Attica, which will house the Laboratories for Research and Development of biotechnological products, as well as a pilot unit for the production of monoclonal antibodies for the production of batch products for clinical trials.
* In addition to the Biotechnology Research Center, it will create a Bio-Academy of Medicines. A mixture of scientists from abroad with know-how that will undertake to train young scientists from the universities of our country, in order to become the pocket of Research and Development in this new technology. The start of the Bio-Academy is foreseen with the completion of the installation, while the scientists from abroad have already started to be hired for this purpose as well as for the design of the total installation.
When the facilities are completed at the end of 2022 and the necessary human resources are trained, DEMO plans to start the Research and Development3 of monoclonal antibodies by 2027, projects which are expected to be completed gradually from 2030 onwards. With the above investments in Biotechnology, DEMO contributes in various ways to the National Economy, as it creates from scratch the branch of Biotechnological Production of Medicines in Greece, contributes to the BrainGain of the country with highly trained Scientific Potential and creates the new pharmaceutical scientists of the future. country.
The total investment plan of DEMOAVEE, amounting to 356 million Euros, was recently presented at an event held at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center – ISN. The investments were welcomed by the Minister of Development & Investment Mr. Adonis Georgiadis, the Minister of Health Mr. Thanos Plevris, the Deputy Minister of Development Mr. Nikos Papathanasis, the Deputy Minister of Finance Mr. Theodoros Skylakakis and Mr. Yf. business world the president of EVEA, Mr. Giannis Bratakos
With all the investments for the next seven years, DEMO comes to shield Europe in medicines and at the same time to put Greece in the new technologies of medicine.
DEMO ABEE: INVESTMENT PLAN 2021-2017, 356 million.
1. Expansion of the production dynamics in Kryoneri, Attica
2. 4 production units of raw materials and 6 production units of final product in Tripoli
3. Modern R&D laboratories in Thessaloniki
4. Monoclonal antibody development unit and BioAcademy in Attica
Source From: Capital