Government releases resources for Petrópolis in less than 48 hours while São Paulo municipalities wait

The Minister of Regional Development, Rogerio Marinho, denied the CNN that the federal government has given special treatment to Petrópolis, which received emergency funds in less than 48 hours. Cities in São Paulo, also hit by rains 2 weeks ago, have not secured federal public funds so far. According to the minister, Petrópolis followed the legal procedures to gain access to resources, while nine municipalities in São Paulo did not.

“Just fill in the work plan. And justify it. It’s in our public and transparent system,” she told the CNN this Friday.

According to the ministry, all municipalities targeted by natural disasters are instructed to submit applications for federal public funds through the Integrated Disaster Information System (S2iD). In the case of São Paulo, the government only recognized the state of emergency in nine cities due to the rains. Despite this, none of the municipalities in São Paulo presented a damage assessment formally by the system – which would make the allocation of resources unfeasible.

The release of federal public money, in these cases, occurs upon demand from the federated entity, states or municipalities, and obeying a survey of needs. Some cities in São Paulo affected by the rains even sent letters, which would not be the appropriate mechanism.

The government says cities can still receive the funds if they apply through the correct system. By means of a letter, still in January, the state of São Paulo asked for R$ 500 million for emergency and also structural demands, such as the construction of anti-flood systems. The letter was not answered.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like