Indonesia: The lost submarine sank at a depth of 850 meters

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

The submarine that went missing off Bali “sank”, a representative of the Navy announced today Indonesia and authorities believe the 53 crew members, if they had survived, had depleted their oxygen supply.

“Based on the information we believe comes from KRI Nanggala, we have changed its status submarine “from ‘missing’ to ‘submerged’,” Judo Margono said in a press conference.

The chief of staff said earlier that rescue workers had recovered debris believed to be from a submarine lost in the Bali Sea on Wednesday.

Hopes of finding the 53 crew members alive were dashed as their oxygen supply was expected to be depleted in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The commander of the Navy said that a scan of the seabed showed that the submarine is at a depth of 850 meters, having far exceeded its survival limits. The KRI Nanggala, which was lost while preparing to launch a torpedo as part of an exercise, is designed to withstand depths of up to 500 meters.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.