Israel postpones Rafah offensive amid debate over response to Iranian attack, sources say

Israel was ready to take the first steps towards a ground offensive on the Gaza city of Rafah, but postponed that campaign after Iran's weekend attack on its country, which sparked a heated debate in the war cabinet over how to respond, Israeli sources told CNN .

The Israeli Air Force was expected to begin dropping leaflets in parts of Rafah on Monday, two Israeli sources said, amid preparations for a ground offensive on the southernmost city of Gaza, where more than 1 million people are living. sheltered.

These plans were halted following a retaliatory strike by Iran over the weekend, when more than 300 projectiles were fired at Israel, with the majority intercepted by Israel and its partners.

An Israeli official said Israel remains determined to carry out a ground offensive on Rafah, although the timing of civilian evacuations and the next ground offensive remains uncertain at present. The Israeli military declined to comment.

However, the war cabinet remains determined to respond to Iran's attack, but at a meeting on Monday afternoon, its members continued to debate the timing and scope of such a response, the officials said. In addition to a potential military response, the war cabinet is also weighing diplomatic options to further isolate Iran on the world stage.

Monday's meeting ended in the late afternoon local time, an Israeli official confirmed to CNN adding that there were no initial details about what was discussed or decided.

Benny Gantz, a senior member of the war cabinet, pushed for a faster response to Iran's attack, two Israeli officials said. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has so far hit the brakes on making a decision.

Gantz believes that the longer Israel delays in its response to Iran's attack, the more difficult it will be to garner international support for such an attack, the sources said. Several countries are already warning Israel against worsening the situation with a military response.

See images of Iran's attacks on Israel:

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like