Italy: Announces 40 coronavirus deaths and 838 new cases

THE Italy announced 40 coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday, up from 56 the previous day, the health ministry said, while the daily report of new infections rose to 838 from 753.

Italy has recorded 127,458 COVID-19-related deaths since the pandemic began in February last year, the second highest in Europe after Britain and the eighth highest in the world.

The Ministry of Health said that 20 of the deaths reported on Saturday were related to previous periods after a recount in the southern part of Campania.

The number of patients in the hospital with COVID-19 – excluding those in the intensive care unit – rose to 1,771 on Saturday, from 1,899 a day earlier.

The total number of patients in the intensive care unit decreased to 298 from 306.

About 224,493 tests for covid-19 were performed yesterday, compared to previous 192,541, the health ministry said.

You may also like