LAST UPDATE: 13.01
Libya’s Supreme Electoral Commission today proposed a one-month postponement of the presidential election, scheduled for December 24, after a parliamentary committee ruled it “impossible” to hold it on the scheduled date.
Earlier in the day, al-Hadi al-Schgayer, chairman of the parliamentary committee in charge of monitoring the presidential election, said in a report to parliament: “January 24, 2022. Parliament will take the necessary steps to remove obstacles to the electoral process.”
“After consulting the techniques, the court reports and the security reports, we inform you that it is impossible for the elections to be held on December 24, 2021, as provided by the electoral law,” he added, but did not suggest another date for the presidential election. .
Reuters notes that with the re-emergence of armed groups in Tripoli and other parts of the country, the collapse of the electoral process could lead to a resurgence of conflict, sparking a new round of violence in Libya.
Disagreements over how the country will proceed with the elections may overturn United Nations peace initiatives that led the warring parties to agree on a ceasefire last year.
Failure to hold the elections as planned also jeopardizes the future of the interim government set up under the peace agreement. The country’s parliamentary election commission announced today that the government’s mandate will expire on Friday.
Leading candidates for the presidency were Gaddafi’s eldest son, Saif al-Islam, the strongman of eastern Libya, Khalifa Haftar, and current Prime Minister and former businessman Abdelhamid Dibayba.
Meanwhile, two candidates from Western Libya visited Benghazi on Tuesday, where they met with Caliph Haftar.
The two candidates, the powerful former Interior Minister Fati Basaga and the former Deputy Prime Minister Ahmed Meitig, arrived this morning at Benina Airport, near Benghazi, the largest city in Cyrenaica. A Basaga adviser said they were to meet “with MPs, political leaders and tribal leaders”, arguing that the aim of this rare move to Benghazi was to “break down the pre-election obstacles and show that it is possible to unite”. the country.
.
Source From: Capital

Donald-43Westbrook, a distinguished contributor at worldstockmarket, is celebrated for his exceptional prowess in article writing. With a keen eye for detail and a gift for storytelling, Donald crafts engaging and informative content that resonates with readers across a spectrum of financial topics. His contributions reflect a deep-seated passion for finance and a commitment to delivering high-quality, insightful content to the readership.