Man dragged and killed after clothes got caught in NYC subway

A 20-year-old man was killed on Monday after his clothes got caught in a New York City subway car, which dragged him onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train, police said, at the latest. recent dismal episode of the country’s largest transit system.

The victim’s harrowing death comes just three days after David Martin, 32, was pushed in front of a train, apparently at random, suffering a broken collarbone. A convicted felon identified as Lamale McRae, 41, was arrested Monday in that attack.

Last week, a 26-year-old man suffered leg injuries after being pushed in front of a train, also apparently at random, allegedly by a homeless man who was later arrested.

Violence on New York’s subways has residents nervous amid a crime spree.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul, a Democrat facing a tough re-election vote in three weeks, and Mayor Eric Adams announced plans over the weekend to increase the number of police officers patrolling the city’s subway system.

“We are all fighting for our city, but there is more work to do. That’s why we’re investing in mental health services, more police on the subways and more affordable housing,” Adams, who has been heavily criticized for his response to the subway attacks, said on Twitter on Sunday.

In January, Michelle Go, 40, was killed after being pushed in front of a train at Times Square station. Her murder was seen as part of a wave of hate crimes against Asian Americans in New York and other major cities.

On April 12, a gunman detonated smoke bombs and opened fire on a subway car, wounding more than 20 people. A suspect was arrested the next day.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said it would install cameras on all New York City subway cars at a cost of about $3.5 million.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like