Mariupol ‘may be red line’ in negotiations with Russia, says Ukraine

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Sunday that the situation in Mariupol “may be a red line” in negotiations with Russia.

“The situation in Mariupol is militarily dire and heartbreaking,” Kuleba said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“The city no longer exists. The rest of the Ukrainian army and a large group of civilians are basically surrounded by Russian forces. They continue their fight, but it seems that from the way the Russian army behaves in Mariupol, they have decided to raze the city at any cost,” he added.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky previously said that any further Russian war crimes would make negotiations with Russia impossible.

The foreign minister said he is anticipating the intensification of heavy fighting in eastern Ukraine in the coming weeks.

He also said he expects “desperate attempts by Russian forces to wipe out Mariupol at any cost”, adding that he expects the missile attacks on Kiev and other Ukrainian cities to continue.

Responding to a question about the importance of a top US official visiting Ukraine, Kuleba said he would be happy to see US President Joe Biden travel to the country.

“It would be an important message of support for us and, of course, a face-to-face meeting between two presidents could also pave the way for further supplies of weapons to Ukraine, and also for discussions on the possible political solution of this conflict,” he said.

Kuleba echoed a line that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky established in conversation with Jake Tapper of CNNin an interview that aired on Sunday.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like