Mexico: New journalist killed, at least sixth to die since beginning of year

A journalist was murdered yesterday Friday (4/3) at Mexicoin a state experiencing an escalation of violence attributed to drug trafficking gangs, its governor said.

This is – at least – the sixth employee in media killed by beginning of the year in Mexico. His murder took place in an area considered the most dangerous in the country, as a war is raging between the two most powerful Mexican drug cartels.

Journalist and taxi driver, o Juan Carlos Munizalso known as “Rigoberto”was killed in his car by unknown gunmen who then managed to escape, in Fresnio, in the state of Sakatekas (north).

His murder and his journalistic status were immediately confirmed by an official source. “I condemn the killing of Juan Carlos Munis, who worked for the news site Testigo Minero, this afternoon in Fresno, and express our solidarity with his relatives, friends and colleagues on Twitter,” he said. David Montreal, the governor of Sakateka.

The governor, a member of the ruling MORENA party (left), called on justice to “investigate the facts and find those responsible as soon as possible”.

The prosecutor’s office announced that it has started an investigation and that it is in contact with a government mechanism for the protection of journalists, which is supposed to protect them when they receive threats.

Crimes with victims journalists in the country – where they have been murdered some 150 employees in the media in the last 20 years– generally go unpunished.

Mexico is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for journalists, due to the violence of gangs, the inability of the authorities to protect them and the many cases of synergy of politicians with organized crime, which they often reveal.

A large number of reporters, in insecurity, find it difficult to make a living from the profession and are often forced to do other jobs.

“The cowardly murder of our colleague and friend shocks much of Fresno society and all journalists,” Testigo Minero said on Facebook.

Ten corpses in front of the governor’s palace

The city of Fresnillo, in the state of Sakateka, where many mines and mines operate, is considered the most dangerous in Mexico. A survey conducted in January showed that 96% of its approximately 240,000 inhabitants feel unsafe.

A historic heart of Mexico during the colonial era, Sakatekas has been living in bloodshed in recent months as it has become a battleground between the two most powerful drug cartels in the country, the Jalisco Cartel Young Generation Cartel and the Hoao Sinaloa Cartel. Guzman, who is serving a life sentence in the United States.

In early January, ten bodies were found in an abandoned car in the middle of the historic center of Sakatekasin front of the governor’s palace.

The President of the Republic, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, denounced “provocations”, referring himself to the “clashes between gangs”.

In November, AMLO, as many call the head of state from the initials of his name, went with several members of his government to Sakatekas to announce the strengthening of security measures, after locating somewhere 15 corpses, which had been hung from bridges, within a few days. These macabre actions by definition led to the signing of the cartels.

Of the at least six journalists already killed in Mexico this year, two were executed in Tijuana, on the border with the United States (northwest). Among the victims was also the director of a news website in Veracruz (east) and a news associate in Mitsuakan (west).

Source: News Beast

You may also like