Nestle: Our remaining operations in Russia are not profitable

Nestle is not making a profit from its remaining operations in Russia, the company said in a statement, as the Swiss food giant is under international pressure to cease operations there after Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, Bloomberg reports.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky denounced Nestle for continuing its operations in Russia, speaking via teleconference to protesters in the Swiss capital, Bern, on Saturday.

Earlier in March, the Swiss company suspended the shipment of non-vital products to Russia, such as e.g. Nespresso capsules and San Pellegrino bottled water. However, it continues to sell baby food, cereals and some pet foods in the country.

“We are not making a profit from our remaining operations,” a Nestle spokesman said in a written statement. “The fact that we, like other companies in the food industry, provide the population with important food products does not mean that we continue as before.”

The Ukrainian government places particular emphasis on Nestle as a company that has not completely ceased operations in Russia. Ukrainian Prime Minister Dennis Smihal tweeted last week that CEO Mark Schneider had shown no understanding of the situation and hoped he could change his mind.

“We are one of the last food companies to remain active in Ukraine and sometimes we even manage to distribute products in Kharkov,” the company said.

Source: Capital

You may also like