New convoy of trucks crosses Rafah crossing to bring humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip

A new convoy of trucks loaded with food and medicine crossed the Rafah crossing, the only entry point into territory not controlled by Israel, to bring humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip this Sunday (22).

According to the Egyptian Red Cross, a total of 17 vehicles were preparing to enter the territory this Sunday morning. These follow the first 20 trucks that crossed the pass on Saturday (21), which had been closed since the Hamas terrorist attacks on October 7. The border point was quickly closed after the aid convoy passed through.

A truck driver waiting to cross the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip with help said he was hopeful of success.

“God willing, I’m entering the crossing now, or in a few minutes. God willing, we will deliver this aid and get in and out safely, God willing,” Ali Shousha told CNN this Sunday morning. He was carrying food, blankets and other supplies.

Driver Gamal al-Sakka also sounded hopeful: “God willing, we will do the job and go to our beloved brothers,” he told CNN .

The level of aid, however, is far from enough to sustain people in Gaza, where the humanitarian situation is dire. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Saturday that “the needs are much greater” than the aid people in Gaza have received.

See also: UN calls for ceasefire and humanitarian aid in Gaza

Published by Flávio Ismerim, with information from Asmaa Khalil, from CNN Internacional

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like