North Korean missile launch appears to have failed, says South Korea

North Korea’s seaward launch of a ballistic missile off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula appears to have failed, the South Korean military said on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, North Korea criticized the US sending of a aircraft carrier to participate in joint exercises with South Korea and Japan, and warned of a “new and overwhelming display of deterrence.”

The apparent failed missile launch originated on the outskirts of Pyongyang, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said. Japan’s coast guard said a projectile believed to be the North Korean ballistic missile appeared to have already landed.

Japan’s Defense Ministry said the missile flew at an altitude of about 100 km and a range of more than 200 km. It appears to have been a failed test of a hypersonic missile, Yonhap news agency said, citing an unnamed military source. North Korea’s last missile launch was on May 30.

The missile launch comes a day after the 74th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.

North Korean state media KCNA said on Wednesday that a mass rally in Pyongyang was held to commemorate the anniversary, calling it a day of “struggle against US imperialism” and calling the US an archenemy.

Recently, North Korea has been launching hundreds of balloons loaded with garbage towards the South, including on Tuesday (25), while Pyongyang deployed a large group of soldiers to build new fortifications within the heavily armed border between the two Koreas, according to the military in the South.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like