PF operates against former judge suspected of sexual crimes against women

The Federal Police carried out a search and seizure operation against former judge Marcos Scalercio, investigated for suspicion of committing sexual crimes against women in Sao Paulo. The police action took place on the morning of Wednesday (19).

The “Operation Verres” is a warrant issued by the Federal Court. As determined by CNN media and electronics were located and seized that will be referred to the expertise to prove what the victims report in the complaints.

The name of the operation refers to Gaio (Caio) Verres, a Roman magistrate who acted in Sicily between 73 and 71 BC and was accused of abusing power to explore and harass women.

THE CNN Try to locate the defense of Marcos Scalercio.

Compulsory retirement condemnation

In May 2023, the National Council of Justice (CNJ) unanimously, Judge Marcos Scalercio, of the Regional Labor Court of the 2nd Region (TRT-2), of São Paulo, to a penalty of compulsory retirement for accusations of sexual harassment.

The CNJ analyzed an open disciplinary administrative proceeding against Scalecio that involved accusations of sexual harassment by three women, a former student, an TRT-2 employee and a lawyer, who would have occurred 2014 and 2020.

“Due to the severity of the facts practiced, considering that the usual standard of conduct was recorded in the three cases examined, and in the light of precedents, I understand viable application of compulsory retirement penalty with expansion proportional to the length of service,” said the rapporteur of the case, counselor Salise Sanchotene, when ending her vote.

Compulsory retirement is the most serious disciplinary penalty applied to judges. Minister Rosa Weber, president of the CNJ and the Federal Supreme Court (STF) at the time, said that the res judicata is “paradigmatic” for reflecting “a structurally macho society, which invisibilizes women and, more than that, the silence by the constraints it imposes on them.”

“I regret that our legislation ensures salaries, or subsidies, proportional to the length of service,” said Weber. “What hurts the most in this process is that the conduct was adopted and the magistrate’s condition was evoked:” I can because I am a judge. “

In September 2022, the CNJ had decided to rule out the TRT Judge Scalecio and open the administrative proceeding. The defense of the former judge has always denied the accusations.

Denunciations

Until the last year, the organization Me Too Brasil and the Justiceiras project received 96 reports of harassment and sexual violence against the magistrate. Of the total, 26 complaints were sent to the National Council of the Public Prosecution Service (CNMP) and the CNJ.

According to Me Too Brasil, there were six reports of rape, and until that moment two of the victims were heard by the Public Prosecutor of São Paulo and the cases of two were sent to the National Council of the Public Prosecution Service (CNMP).

One of the cases was not heard by the court and a victim decided not to formalize the complaint.

This content was originally published in PF operates against former judge suspected of sexual crimes against women on CNN Brazil.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like