untitled design

Report of sexual assault against Ricky Martin is dropped due to lack of evidence

The Puerto Rico Department of Justice reported on Friday (7) that there is no basis to charge Ricky Martin with sexual assault.

The Prosecutor’s Office and police in San Juan, the island’s capital, conducted an investigation into the case following a complaint of sexual assault filed against the Puerto Rican singer by his nephew Dennis Yadiel Sánchez Martin.

“The formulation of charges against Enrique Martin Morales, known publicly as Ricky Martin, is not appropriate due to a complaint of sexual assault filed against him in September 2022,” states the statement sent by the institution’s press office.

The document details that the evidence obtained by the Police and the Public Prosecutor’s Office in the investigation does not match the allegations or support the accusations. “In view of this, the San Juan Prosecutor’s Office is prevented from initiating criminal proceedings in court,” the statement states.

José Andreu Fuentes, Martin’s lawyer, told CNN that the Justice Department’s decision was made “due to the lack of credibility these allegations have and because they are not based on any fact.”

The singer’s public relations person, Helga García, informed that Martin will make statements in the coming days. A CNN tried to get a reaction from Dennis Yadiel Sánchez Martin’s lawyers about the Justice Department’s decision, but so far no response has been received.

The singer was in the media spotlight due to a temporary protection order related to alleged domestic violence following the harassment accusation filed by his 21-year-old nephew in early July 2022, which the singer always refuted and rejected.

In a hearing held on July 21 of that year, a judge decided not to extend the temporary protection measure against Martin, as the singer’s nephew asked for the case to be closed.

After the hearing, the Puerto Rico Police stated that the order of protection issued against Martin would be “shelved” as “there is nothing criminal” pending, as confirmed by police spokesperson Axel Valencia.

In September 2022, Ricky Martin filed a lawsuit against his nephew in the San Juan Court of First Instance for extortion, malicious prosecution, abuse of rights and damages.

In the lawsuit, Martin requested financial compensation totaling at least US$30 million, alleging that Sánchez’s actions led him to cancel “million-dollar contracts and present and future artistic projects.” Andreu Fuentes, Martin’s lawyer, told CNN that the case is currently in the discovery phase.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like

Get the latest

Stay Informed: Get the Latest Updates and Insights

 

Most popular