Rio: 80,000 teenagers have the 2nd dose against Covid-19 in delay in the city

While the booster vaccination against Covid-19 for teenagers begins to be applied in the city of Rio de Janeiro, 80,000 young people between 12 and 17 years old are still having their second dose against the delayed disease.

The capital of Rio de Janeiro faces a lack of doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which makes it difficult to complete the primary vaccination schedule for adolescents who took the first dose of the immunizer. Vaccine interchangeability is not allowed for this age group.

The information was confirmed by the municipal secretary of Health, Rodrigo Prado. According to him, the last Pfizer shipment sent by the Ministry of Health, with 52,000 doses, arrived on May 6th.

“The concern is also great in relation to other groups that need to take this immunizing agent, such as pregnant women. We even tried to prioritize these groups in the application, but now we don’t have them anymore: Pfizer is gone. We only have the pediatric version”, explained Prado.

The Municipal Health Department also reported on the shortage of Pfizer vaccine in a note.

“Despite repeated requests made by the Municipal Health Department to the Ministry of Health, the Municipality of Rio did not receive a contribution from adult Pfizer (for use in people aged 12 and over) and is currently out of stock of this vaccine. The vaccines available at the moment are those from AstraZeneca, Coronavac and Janssen, respecting the indications and preferences for each age group or phase of vaccination”, says the secretary.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health stated that it has already distributed more than 210.7 million doses of Pfizer to all states and the Federal District. “Of these, according to state and municipal records, 179 million were applied. In the coming days, new doses of immunizing agents will be distributed throughout the country”, says the folder.

The recommendation for expanding the campaign against the disease was published by the Ministry of Health last week and the priority would be, according to the federal government, to use the immunizing agent in the Pfizer vaccine. The option, if there is no availability, is by applying Coronavac.

Increase in cases

in conversation with the CNN , before the press interview scheduled for this Thursday, Prado confirmed an increase in the number of coronavirus cases in the city. However, he says that the number of deaths has not followed this growth and that the health network is prepared to meet the demand.

“There was a reinforcement of professionals in units that had greater demand. And there is a contingency plan ready in case of a new peak of contagion”, reveals Prado.

Also according to the secretary, at this time, the scientific committee that guides the city hall of Rio in matters related to Covid-19 did not recommend increasing restrictive measures . Therefore, a change in the rules, such as the return of mandatory use of masks is ruled out at first.

(With information from CNN’s Yuri Corsini)

Basic care helps prevent Covid-19

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like