Rock in Rio, which will take place from September 2 to 11 at the Olympic Park, is shaking up the tourist sector in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The Rio Convention & Visitors Bureau (Rio CVB) estimated the event’s revenue at US$ 158.48 million, generating US$ 7.924 million in Service Tax (ISS) for the municipality’s economy.
The calculations are based on the average per capita expenditure (per individual) with accommodation, food, transport in Brazil, personal purchases and tourism in the city.
As in previous editions of the festival, the hotel chain estimates a total occupancy of 100% of beds in the enterprises located around the event.
The other segments of the tourism sector should also benefit from the concerts, as tourists take advantage of the opportunity to get to know the city.
“Rock in Rio has already established itself as one of the biggest festivals in the world and has become, along with New Year’s Eve and Carnival, one of the main events in Rio de Janeiro, generating a positive impact for the city as a whole”, said the director. Rio CVB executive Roberta Werner, who is optimistic about holding the festival after a three-year break.
“For this reason, we constantly work to capture new events for the city, in order to move tourism throughout the year”, he said.
Rio’s Municipal Secretary of Tourism, Antônio Mariano, highlighted the municipality’s natural vocation for large events.
“Rock in Rio is proof of that. After three years, we will receive hundreds of thousands of tourists, wanting to see the biggest music festival in the world. An event of this magnitude, which carries our brand in its name, has the enormous potential to further promote Rio, raise the self-esteem of the carioca and turn the wheel of the economy with the generation of thousands of jobs”, he said.
Also the Tom Jobim/RIOgaleão International Airport, a partner of Rio CVB, expects an increase of around 22 thousand passengers in the period from September 1st to 15th, based on the flights scheduled so far.
The increase will be 11% in relation to the first half of the previous month.
In total, 133 extra flights are expected for the period, reinforcing existing routes, such as São Paulo, Maceió and Recife, and adding three new destinations: Curitiba, Florianópolis and Salvador.
Source: CNN Brasil

With 6 years of experience, I bring to the table captivating and informative writing in the world news category. My expertise covers a range of industries, including tourism, technology, forex and stocks. From brief social media posts to in-depth articles, I am dedicated to creating compelling content for various platforms.