Somalia: At least 15 killed in bus blast

At least 15 people were killed today Wednesday (14/4) in Somalia and several were injured in a bus explosion.

Specifically, the tragic incident happened when the small bus in which they were riding destroyed by the explosion of the mechanism which was hidden in the street, as announced by the government spokesman.

“A horrible incident, 15 innocent people were killed”, Government spokesman Mohamed Ibrahim Moalimou wrote on Twitter, accusing the radical Islamists Shebab of being responsible for the tragedy, as broadcast by APE-MPE.

The latter clarified that the attack took place near the city of Balad, 30 km north of the capital Mogadishu.

The minibus was carrying more than 20 passengers and had departed from Mogadishu, said Police Officer Ali Dooh.

Earlier, Abdikarim Mohammed, an official with the Hirsabel state administration, which borders Mogadishu, said 14 people had been killed and four injured.

A military official serving in the area, Absir Mohammed, He also blamed the explosion on radical Islamists Shebab.

“Terrorists strike indiscriminately. “They planted the mine that killed these innocent civilians while they were traveling,” he told local media.

An eyewitness who contacted Agence France-Presse, Mohamed Adan, said he saw “the bodies of ten people” being transported from the site of the blast.

The Shebab have been waging a bloody uprising since 2007 to overthrow the fragile Somali federal government, backed by the international community.

* File photo

You may also like