The team of the popular messenger WhatsApp has stopped supporting smartphones with old versions of Android and iOS starting today, November 1.
As a reminder, since February 2020, support for smartphones with the installed Android operating system version 2.3.7 and older, as well as iOS 8 and older has ceased. Now support for WhatsApp has ended for Android versions 4.0.4 and older, as well as iOS 9 and older.
Note that WhatsApp does not stop supporting specific smartphone models – we are talking only about the OS version installed on them. The network has already published a list of several dozen models of smartphones that are under threat – if users could not install a more recent version of the OS on them in time, they may lose access to WhatsApp.
For example, among Apple smartphones, the iPhone SE, iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus are at risk. For these iPhones, Apple is currently offering updates to iOS 15 inclusive.
Among smartphones based on Android, under the threat of losing access to WhatsApp, such models of famous manufacturers are:
- LG: Lucid 2, Optimus Prime F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 2, Dual Optimus L5, Best L5 2, Optimus L5, Dual Best L3 2, Optimus L7, Optimus Prime L7, Dual Optimus L7 2, Optimus Prime F6, Enact Optimus Prime F3, Best L4 II, Best L2 II, Optimus Nitro HD, Optimus 4X HD and Optimus F3Q.
- Huawei: Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S и Ascend D2.
- Samsung: Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy SII, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core и Galaxy Ace 2.
- ZTE: Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand X Quad V987 и Grand Memo.
- Sony: Xperia Miro, Xperia Neo L и Xperia Arc S.
Today’s lesser-known brands include Alcatel One Touch Evo 7, Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five and Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Run F1 and THL W8.
Updated requirements for WhatsApp now look like this: iPhone with iOS 10 or later, Android 4.1 or later. Also for Android it is specified that the phone must be able to receive SMS or calls during the number verification process.