“The decision for New Year’s Eve and Carnival in SP will be taken by the health surveillance”, says secretary
The municipal secretary of Health of São Paulo, Edson Aparecido, told the CNN, this Thursday (25), the decision on the holding of major events in the city of São Paulo in the coming months, such as New Year’s Eve, São Silvestre Race and Carnival, will be in charge of the health surveillance.
In an interview with CNN New Day, the secretary informed that surveillance will present a new study on the epidemiological scenario in São Paulo on December 5th. This survey will be important for the final decision making regarding the realization of New Year’s Eve and São Silvestre.
“Carnival will be a decision to be taken a little further on. We are expecting 15 million people for Carnival, so it is essential that we have security. The decision whether the events will occur or not will be given by the health surveillance”, said Edson Aparecido.
This epidemiological study expected for the next 5th should also define whether the capital of São Paulo will adopt the release of the use of masks in open places, announced on Wednesday (24) by the state government.
“The municipality has already had two studies surveying these scenarios, one in mid-October and the other in November. Both pointed out the need to continue wearing masks. The idea is that the December 5 study has a scenario of stability and a decline in the pandemic so that we can make the decision [do desuso de máscaras]”, said the secretary.
But, even hoping for positive data, Edson Aparecido pondered that the month of December is very complex because there is a strong increase in movement in São Paulo due to popular commerce and the end-of-year festivities.
“Popular regions, such as 25 de Março Street, have very large access by people from all over the country. Last year, December was when we had a resurgence of the pandemic. Even if the data are positive in the evaluation on the 5th, it will be very difficult for São Paulo to release the masks before the 11th”, he declared.
One of the ways to maintain the control of the pandemic in the capital of São Paulo is the advance of vaccination of teenagers. According to the secretary, at the moment 42% of those over 12 years old in São Paulo have the second dose of the vaccine against Covid-19 applied.
From this Thursday (25), municipal and state schools in the capital will have health teams to carry out the vaccination. “We also abolished the presence of the companion. A declaration authorizing the application already allows the teenager to be vaccinated at school”, said Edson Aparecido.
The expectation of the Secretary of Health of the capital is that next week, or at most 10 days, the city will reach 100% of those over 12 vaccinated.
*Under the supervision of Layane Serrano
Reference: CNN Brasil