The Act of Legislative Content was published on Tuesday with the urgent provisions to strengthen the integrity of the operation of the National Intelligence Service, which Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis had announced in his message to the citizens yesterday.
It provides, among other things, that the appointment of the governor of the EYP is carried out after the opinion of the competent committee of the Parliament, in accordance with the provisions of its Regulations, and that the obligation to provide an opinion in accordance with par. 1 also occupies the employee at the time of the publication of this Governor Mr. Th. Demiris.
The final approval by the Appellate Prosecutor of communications monitoring operations, letters, etc. is also foreseen.
In particular, the PNP provides for the following:
Urgent provisions to strengthen the integrity of the operation of the National Intelligence Service.
THE PRESIDENT OF THE GREEK REPUBLIC
Taking into consideration:
1. Article 19, paragraph 1 of article 44 and article 65 of the Constitution.
2. The extremely urgent and unforeseen need to establish regulations to strengthen the integrity of the operation of the National Intelligence Service.
3. The relevant proposal of the Council of Ministers, we decide:
Governor appointment procedure
of the National Intelligence Service
1. In para. 2 of article 9 of Law 3649/2008 (A’ 39), the second paragraph is updated with regard to the competent body, a third paragraph is added and para. 2 is formulated as follows:
“2. The Governor is a transferable employee of the category of special positions with grade 1. He is appointed and dismissed freely by decision of the competent member of the Government. The appointment is carried out after the opinion of the competent committee of the Parliament, in accordance with the provisions of its Regulation.” .
2. The obligation to provide an opinion in accordance with par. 1 also applies to the employee upon publication of this Order. In the case of the first paragraph, the opinion is provided within a period of forty-five (45) days from the publication of this notice, otherwise the appointment is automatically revoked.
Order declassifying communications from the National Intelligence Service
At the end of paragraph (b) of paragraph 1 of article 5 of Law 3649/2008 (A’ 39) two paragraphs are added and paragraph (b) is formulated as follows:
“b. Acts, following an order of the public prosecutor in paragraph 3 hereof and in compliance with the provisions of Law 3115/2003, declassifying letters and telephone or other communications, as well as recording the activity of persons with special technical means and in particular with an audio device and image outside the residence. This provision shall be submitted for approval within twenty-four (24) hours to the competent Appellate Prosecutor. The validity of the provision begins with the approval of the Appellate Prosecutor.”
Article three Entry into force
The validity of the present, which will be legally ratified according to par. 1 of article 44 of the Constitution, starts from its publication in the Government Gazette, unless otherwise specified in its individual provisions.