The value of the visa to the United States increased to from this Tuesday (30) for Brazilians who wish to travel for tourism in the country. The tourist visa costs from US$ 160 to US$ 185 (R$ 809 to R$ 935)
The US Department of State charges an “application processing fee” for non-immigrant visas (NIV) after filing a form (DS-160) requesting the document on the US government website.
This fee must be paid in order to schedule the interview at the embassy or consulate – which, in São Paulo, currently has a waiting time of 610 days. See waiting times at the end of the article.
The US justified the readjustment in fees “based on the real cost of providing services” and highlighted that the fee charged on visas for work or tourism, for example, had not been updated since 2014.
- Visa for business or tourism (B1/B2 and BCCs): from US$160 to US$185 (R$809 to R$935)
- Visa for students and exchange: from US$160 to US$185 (R$809 to R$935)
- Temporary worker visa (categories H, L, O, P, Q and R): from US$190 to US$205 (R$961 to R$1,036)
- Trade/investor treaty visa (category E): from US$ 205 to US$ 315 (R$ 1,036 to R$ 1,593)
See below how long it currently takes to schedule an interview for the first issue of a US visa in the B1/B2 categories, which are for tourism or business.
- US Embassy in Brasilia: 493 days
- US Consulate General in Sao Paulo: 610 days
- US Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro: 463 days
- US Consulate General in Porto Alegre: 473 days
- US Consulate General in Recife: 449 days
Below you will find information and the essential step-by-step process for renewing your visa, if applicable.
To renew, always have your passport handy, as you will need the information to complete the forms and schedule your document delivery date.
Before applying for renewal of your visa, you need to assess whether your passport is eligible for it. To qualify for a renewal, you must meet the following conditions:
- Be a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident in Brazil;
- Have a US visa valid or expired for less than 48 months;
- Your previous visa has not been lost, stolen, canceled or revoked;
- Have not had your last visa application refused;
- Never have been arrested or convicted of a crime;
- Never have been deported or denied entry to the United States.
Already have the visa? Learn how to renew
See how to renew your US visa:
Completing the US Visa Application Form (DS-160)
The first thing you need to do to renew your US visa is to complete The form on the Embassy website, online. This form is called DS-160 and needs to be completed in English.
It is on this page that you will inform the place where the visa process will be carried out, and with that an identification number and a security answer will be generated that you will be able to choose. This information should be stored securely as you will need it later.
After completing the DS-160, you will be asked to print the confirmation page with the barcode.
Fee payment and scheduling at CASV
With the DS-160 in hand, you will have to separate some documents to take with you on the day of the CASV. Are they:
- Valid passport;
- Previous passport with visa (if any);
- DS-160 confirmation page with barcode;
- Appointment confirmation page in CASV;
- Photo 5X7cm or 5X5cm with white background (see more photo requirements).
After gathering the documents, you must go to the CASV on the date and city previously scheduled and pay the fee of US$ 180, in the case of a tourist visa.
After performing all the previous steps, you will be able to choose whether you want to pick up your visa at CASV or have it delivered to your home, for an additional fee. It is still possible to track your request in this linkclicking on “Check My Visa Application Status”.
Some extra tips:
- Travelers who applied for the previous visa when they were minors must attend the Consulate for the interview
- To exempt yourself from visiting the CASV, you must have taken fingerprints on the last occasion you were at the Consulate
- To find more date options, it is always recommended to enter the consulate’s website several times a day. Schedules that have been canceled are released daily and new appointments are also made available
- For urgent cases, it is always a good option to look for dates in CASVs in other cities
It is worth anticipating the renewal of your visa and treating this step as a priority when choosing your next travel destination. And if you still haven’t decided on your next vacation in the United States, here are some unmissable suggestions:
- The advantages of staying in hotels within the Universal Studios complex in Orlando
- 10 rooftops to visit in Chicago, in the United States
- Tips for the best restaurants in Miami
- Winter season in the USA: ski resorts unite extreme sports and coziness amid the snow
- Disney: all the news coming in the coming years
- The most popular restaurants in New York
Source: CNN Brasil
Johanna Foster is an expert opinion writer with over 7 years of experience. She has a reputation for delivering insightful and thought-provoking articles on a variety of subjects. Her work can be found on some of the top online news websites, and she is currently lending her voice to the world stock market.