The first formal hearing in the case against Republic of Austria in the case of coronavirus tourists in ski resort Isgl in the Austrian state of Tyrol, which had made headlines around the world in March 2020.
The eagle is considered the “zero” point for its spread coronavirus in Austria and parts of Europe and, according to earlier reports by the Austrian authorities, 40% of all domestic infections were attributed to Isgl, and many German tourists also believe they were infected there.
The widow and son of a 72-year-old Austrian man who contracted the coronavirus while on a skiing holiday in March 2020 and died shortly afterwards, have filed the first lawsuit under discussion today, demanding compensation of 102,000 euros. No decision is expected from the current process soon.
The first trial in the Eagle case, which due to the pandemic has been moved to the large ceremonial hall of the Austrian Supreme Court, is attracting a lot of interest from the Austrian and international media, with the prior accreditations exceeding 60.
The 72-year-old son, who died of Covid-19 and was the well-known journalist and editor-in-chief of the Austrian weekly Die Furche Hannes Sopf, is attending today’s trial, while his widow was unable to attend due to emotional reasons. .
The 72-year-old’s family is not asking for money, but for justice, his son told the Austrian News Agency (APA), adding that if the amount is paid, they will donate it to the charity Caritas, which his father supported during his lifetime. of.
Families of the dead accuse the authorities of not acting quickly
The plaintiffs accuse the authorities of not acting quickly and decisively enough to prevent the coronavirus from spreading to the ski resort. Although it had been known since March 4, 2020 that there were SARS-CoV-2 infections in the Patsnaun Valley there, the area did not close in time and thousands of people traveled to the ski area the following weekend.
“The Austrian authorities, such as the press service of the state of Tyrol, the regional authority of Ladek and the local tourist association, have reduced the risk in an irresponsible manner,” the complaint said.
“As a result, bars and ski lifts were closed with hesitation, contact detection was inadequate and compliance with regulations was not enforced. “People kept having fun in front of closed pubs outdoors, and that means the virus spread quickly.”
They added that “the uncoordinated and ill-prepared public announcement by Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurtz at a press conference on March 13, 2020, that the Patsnown Valley would be isolated, led to a hasty and chaotic departure of tourists and workers. This resulted in extensive traffic jams, where, for routes that usually take half an hour, it took many hours. “Many people must have been infected in overcrowded buses and cars and then transmitted the virus to their fellow citizens on trains and planes.”
According to Peter Kolba, president of the Austrian Consumer Protection Association, which represents the victims, 15 lawsuits have already been filed in the Isgl case, and another 60 are to follow, while there are hundreds of victims from whom individual appeals are expected.
The Patsnown Valley, where Isgle is located, was quarantined on March 13, 2020, but critics and critics say it should have been done sooner.
On that day, thousands of holidaymakers left the valley en masse and in a hurry, but many were apparently already infected with the coronavirus at this point and, according to Peter Kolba, the warning came too late, the apres-ski bars closed too late, as very slowly and very chaotically they closed the valley.
He points out that the departure also took place in complete chaos and that is why thousands of people became infected and spread across Europe and those who were injured are now seeking compensation from the Republic of Austria.