Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has extended the quarantine placed in two districts that are considered the epicenter of the country’s Ebola outbreak by 21 days, adding that his government’s response to the disease is proving successful.
Entry and exit from Mubende and Kassanda districts, in central Uganda, will be restricted until December 17, the presidency said on Saturday night (26). The measure was originally imposed for 21 days on 15 October, then extended for the same period on 5 November.
The extension was “to further sustain the gains in Ebola control we have made and to protect the rest of the country from continued exposure.”
The government’s anti-Ebola efforts have been successful, with two districts going about two weeks without new cases, the president said.
“It may be too early to celebrate any successes, but overall I’m told the picture is good,” he said in a statement.
The East African nation has so far recorded 141 infections. Fifty-five people have died since the deadly hemorrhagic fever outbreak was declared on September 20.
While the outbreak is gradually being brought under control, the “situation is still fragile,” Museveni said, adding that the country’s weak health system and the circulation of misinformation about the disease remained a challenge.
The Ebola virus circulating in Uganda is the Sudanese strain, for which there is no proven vaccine, unlike the more common Zairean strain that has spread during recent outbreaks in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.
(Editing by Duncan Miriri and Kim Coghill)
Source: CNN Brasil
I am a journalist with two years of experience in the financial industry. I was most recently an associate editor where I wrote about market trends and analysis. In my spare time, I am also an author, specializing in stock market analysis and trading advice.