Ukraine launches missile attack on Russian-occupied town

Several explosions were reported in the Russian-occupied city of Melitopol in southern Ukraine and in annexed Crimea, including at a Russian military barracks.

The blasts came amid reports from officials on both sides that Ukraine had launched a missile attack on the city on Saturday.

Moscow-based Melitopol administrators said four missiles hit the city, killing two people and wounding 10, while Melitopol’s mayor reported several explosions, including at a church occupied by Russian forces.

Separately, there were also reports of multiple explosions hitting Russian-annexed Crimea, including at a military barracks in Sovietske.

However, Ukrainian authorities have not commented on the Crimean explosions, and CNN has been unable to verify the cause of the explosions or the extent of the damage.

Missiles hit Melitopol

Melitopol has been under Russian occupation since early March.

Yevgeny Balitsky, acting governor of Zaporizhzhia in Russia, said the missile attack on Melitopol “completely destroyed” a recreation center where “people, civilians and base personnel [militar] were having dinner on Saturday night.”

The attacks were acknowledged by Ivan Fedorov, a former Ukrainian administrator of the city of Melitopol, who said they targeted Russian military bases.

Federov said last month that Russia has turned Melitopol into “a giant military base”.

“The Russian military is settling in local houses they have taken over, schools and kindergartens. Military equipment is parked in residential areas,” Federov said in November.

Melitopol Mayor Ivan Fedorov said there had been several explosions, including at the Melitopol Christian Church, “which the occupiers took over several months ago and turned into their hideout”.

Fedorov, who is not in Melitopol, said there were dead and wounded among Russian forces there.

Explosions in Crimea

The attack on Melitopol came amid images on social media and reports of several explosions in the Crimean city of Simferopol at around 9 pm local time on Saturday.

There were also reports of explosions in Sevastopol, home of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet; in a Russian military barracks in Sovietske; and in Hvardiiske, Dzhankoi and Nyzhniohirskyi.

The blasts came after Moscow stepped up its missile strikes against Ukraine last week, following Russian allegations that Kiev was behind recent drone strikes on military airfields deep inside its territory.

There are conflicting reports about the explosions in Crimea.

Crimean unofficial media “Krymskyi veter” said an explosion at a Russian military barracks in Sovietske set fire to the barracks and left dead and injured.

However, a pro-Russian Crimean channel claimed that the fire at the barracks was caused by “careless handling of fire”.

“Two people died. Now all the servicemen, about two hundred people, are housed in other facilities, ”he said.

Sergey Aksenov, the Russian-appointed chief of Crimea, said in Telegram: “The air defense system worked over Simferopol. All services are working normally.”

Mikhail Razvozhaev, governor of Sevastopol, said the explosions were caused by firing exercises.

More than 1.5 million without power in Odessa

The news comes amid reports that 1.5 million people in the Odessa region of Ukraine have been left without power following strikes by Iranian-made drones.

“In total, Russian terrorists used 15 Shahed drones against Odessa,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said during his daily speech on Saturday.

He said “Ukrainian sky defenders” had shot down 10 of the 15 drones, but the damage was still “critical” and he suggested it would take a few days to restore electricity supplies in the region.

“Only critical infrastructure is connected and as far as possible to provide electricity,” he said.

Ukraine has faced a broad attack on its critical infrastructure and energy sources since early October. That left millions across the country facing power cuts amid freezing winter temperatures.

“In general, emergency and stabilization power outages continue in several regions,” Zelensky said. “The power system is now, to put it mildly, a long way from a normal state.”

Odessa was already among the hardest hit regions following Russia’s previous attacks on critical infrastructure.

“This is Russia’s real attitude towards Odessa, towards the residents of Odessa – deliberate intimidation, deliberate attempt to bring disaster to the city,” added Zelensky.

Ukraine received on Saturday “a new support package from Norway worth $100 million” which will be used “precisely for the restoration of our energy system after these Russian attacks”, added Zelensky.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like