Ukraine’s human rights ombudswoman said on Friday that 130 people had been rescued so far from a bombed theater in Mariupol, but there was still no word on more than 1,000 other people who authorities believe were sheltered there when the bombing took place. bomb dropped.
Lyudmyla Denisova said rescue work was underway at the site, which Ukraine says was hit by a powerful Russian air strike on Wednesday.
Russia denies bombing the theater or targeting civilians.
“Rescue teams are working. There is only this information: 130 people are alive and have been removed. The rest are waiting for help,” she said on national television.
This is the first time that Ukrainian authorities have released an estimate of the number of survivors of the attack. There is no confirmation of the number of possible victims.
“According to our data, there are still more than 1,300 people in these basements, in that air raid shelter,” Denisova said, referring to the underground shelters below the theater.
Reuters was unable to independently verify the figures.
The Mariupol city council previously said there were more than 1,000 people sheltering under the theater.
Source: CNN Brasil