The UN appealed this Wednesday (14) for US$2.8 billion (R$14.6 billion) in funds to help more than three million people in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank by the end of the year, alleviating food shortages and preventing imminent famine in Gaza.
A statement published by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the amount was needed to help 3.1 million people, “reduce human suffering and prevent further loss of life”.
A large part of the funds, US$782.1 million (R$4.09 billion), will be allocated to food aid for 2.2 million people in Gaza and 400,000 people in the West Bank, the appeal said.
More than six months of war have created critical food shortages among Gaza's Palestinians that, in some areas, now exceed famine levels, according to the UN.
A senior UN humanitarian aid official said on Tuesday (16) that the organization is facing difficulties in preventing famine in the Palestinian territory and, although there have been improvements in coordination with Israel, aid deliveries still face obstacles in the enclave.
Israel is trying to eliminate Hamas in Gaza after the armed group's October 7 attack on Israel, in which 1,200 people died and more than 250 were taken hostage, according to Israeli counts.
Gaza health authorities said Israel has killed more than 33,000 people in its offensive since then.
Source: CNN Brasil

Bruce Belcher is a seasoned author with over 5 years of experience in world news. He writes for online news websites and provides in-depth analysis on the world stock market. Bruce is known for his insightful perspectives and commitment to keeping the public informed.