The US military has launched an air strike against al-Qa’eda-linked Shebab jihadists. According to the Pentagon, this is the first such blow since the US presidency took place. Joe Biden.
The US Joint Chiefs of Staff (USAFRICOM) has launched an “air raid on the outskirts of Galcayo,” Pentagon spokeswoman Cindy King told AFP.
According to the Athenian-Macedonian News Agency, the raid targeted Shebab fighters (“the youth” in Arabic) and its results are being evaluated, as land battles between jihadists and Somali government troops are still ongoing, the spokeswoman added. .
“The initial conclusion of the administration is that no civilian was injured or killed in this blow,” she added.
Previous US airstrikes in Somalia were announced on January 19, when AFRICOM reported that three Shebab jihadists had been killed in two separate strikes south and north of the capital Mogadishu.
When Joe Biden came to power the next day, he announced that he was restricting the US military’s use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to strike at jihadist organizations outside the theaters of war in which the US a decision to the contrary by Donald Trump’s predecessor, who had practically given a blank check to his generals for countries like Somalia.
In March, Pentagon spokesman John Kerby said all strikes against jihadist groups outside Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq were now being approved by the White House before being carried out.
Former President Donald Trump, from the beginning of his term in 2016, relaxed the control that Barack Obama exercised in military operations against jihadist organizations, saying that he had “confidence in his generals”.
The UAVs then multiplied, going from 11 in Somalia in 2015 to 64 in 2019, according to Airwars.
Shortly before stepping down, Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of about 700 U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers deployed in Somalia to train and advise members of the Somali military.