American families of the victims of the attacks of October 7, 2023, made by Hamas against Israel filed a lawsuit on Monday (7) against a Palestinian American entrepreneur, Bashar Masi.
The victims’ relatives accuse him of providing assistance in the construction of infrastructure that assisted Hamas militants to perform the offensive.
The lawsuit, filed with the US District Court to Washington, DC, is considered the first case of a US citizen accused of providing significant support to attacks that triggered a broader conflict in the Middle East and shaken the region.
Masi’s office classified the lawsuit as “unfounded”.
According to a statement that announced the lawsuit, properties that Masi had, developed and controlled, including two luxury hotels and the Gaza Industrial Park “hid tunnels under them and had accessible tunnel entries from within the properties, which Hamas used in terrorist operations before and after October 7”.
“The defendants facilitated the construction and concealment of these tunnels and even built installations of solar panels above ground, which then used to provide electricity to Hamas,” he said.
The October 7 attacks killed about 1,200 Israeli, including more than 40 Americans, and caused Israeli retaliation against Gaza, who since then has killed more than 50,000 Palestinians.
The action, which targets Masi and its companies, was filed in the name of almost 200 US authors, including survivors and relatives of the victims.
“Our goal is to expose those who have helped and support Hamas and try to blame individuals and companies who had a legitimate and moderate image to the western world, but who helped Active and consciously,” said Lee Wolosky of the law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, the main lawyer who represents the authors in the statement.
The document states that GIE was originally created with the aid of public funding from US taxpayers through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to promote economic growth in the region.
It states that “as a result of the fraud of the defendants”, the Hamas tunnel network was built with the aid of infrastructure and energy projects funded by international institutions, including the World Bank International Financial Corporation (IFC).
Masi’s office considered the allegations against him and his companies false and stated that he would seek the rejection of the accusations in court. The office also says that he has been involved in humanitarian and developmental work in recent decades and “uncomfortably opposes the violence of any kind.”
“Neither he nor these entities have ever been involved in illegal activities or supported violence and militancy,” he said in a statement.
The execution of large projects in Gaza before the war would require tacit approval and some level of cooperation from Hamas authorities. The group built its extensive network of tunnels in practically the entire territory, including under homes and companies.
A March 10 article at Jerusalem Post cited unidentified diplomatic sources stating that Masi had served as a counselor near Adam Boehler, sent from US President Donald Trump to release hostages in Gaza.
According to the article, the businessman had flown in Boehler’s private jet while he was traveling around the region.
The article called Masi a “experienced entrepreneur” who “shares a business-oriented approach with Trump, making him a natural choice for the government’s economic view for the region.”
The State Department and the White House did not immediately respond to requests for commentary when asked about the newspaper report.
In an interview with Reuters in October 2020, when he was 59 years old, Masri spoke in favor of the Arab Gulf’s ties with Israel, convicted of Palestinian leaders, claiming that they could be an opportunity to apply new pressure to interrupt Jewish settlements on busy lands.
The businessman said in 2020 that Palestinians should not lose hope.
“Our enemies want us to lose hope. If we lose hope, they will have exactly what they want, and there will be no Palestine, no Palestinian people.”
Bashar Masi
This content was originally published in US families accuse billionaire to facilitate Hamas attacks on CNN Brazil.
Source: CNN Brasil

Bruce Belcher is a seasoned author with over 5 years of experience in world news. He writes for online news websites and provides in-depth analysis on the world stock market. Bruce is known for his insightful perspectives and commitment to keeping the public informed.