The head of the WHO (World Health Organization) in Europe sounded the alert on Tuesday (17) about the supply of health supplies in Ukraine during the war with Russia and called for an investigation into more than 200 attacks on health systems. .
Hans Kluge, WHO’s regional director for Europe, said one in three patients had problems accessing medication, one in five in the conflict zone needed psychological help, that sexual violence was on the rise and there was a risk of outbreaks of cholera.
“To date, the WHO has verified 226 health attacks in Ukraine. There are almost three attacks a day since February 24. They left at least 75 dead and 59 wounded,” Kluge told a news conference in Kiev.
The authority of the international organization declared that these attacks are considered an “insult to the dedication and integrity of health professionals”.
“These attacks are not justifiable, they are not right and they must be investigated. No healthcare professional should have to provide healthcare on a razor’s edge,” Kluge said.
Russia has denied attacking civilians in what it calls a special military operation in Ukraine. .
Jarno Habicht, WHO representative in Ukraine, said primary care facilities, hospitals and ambulances had been damaged in attacks since the start of the Russian invasion on Feb.
Habicht said an additional concern is the Covid-19 pandemic, which he said did not end in Ukraine. He praised the country’s vaccination program against the disease, but said its scale should grow and the detection system strengthened.
WHO Ukraine incident manager Dorit Nitzan said the southern city of Mariupol, which is now controlled by Russian forces after weeks of siege and heavy bombing, is among the occupied areas where there is a risk of cholera.
(Posted by Carolina Farias)
Source: CNN Brasil