The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has added three Houthi Shiite rebel commanders to its list of natural and legal persons subject to sanctions on Tuesday. Nations yesterday Wednesday.
The sanctions were imposed by Britain over ongoing Houthi attacks on targets in Saudi Arabia that have killed and injured civilians, and the ongoing operation by Shiite rebels to seize Marib, the stronghold of the US-backed country, where a civil conflict has been raging since 2014.
The three new names added to the UN sanctions list are those of Muhammad Abd al-Karim al-Gamari, who is leading the raid on Marib, Youssef al-Madani, the leader of the militant group, and Saleh Mesfer Saleh al Saer, who is said to be playing a role in the rebel arms market.
These persons are subject to a travel ban and the freezing of any resources they have abroad, measures decided unanimously by the Sanctions Committee, which represents the 15 member states of the UN Security Council.
Earlier in the day, the Saudi-led military alliance that intervened in the 2015 war in Yemen announced that 60 Houthis had been killed in new airstrikes on the outskirts of the city of Marib and the neighboring province of Al Jouf, with an official statement SPA news agency.
For about a month, the alliance under Riyadh has announced almost daily that it has inflicted heavy casualties on the rebels with the air strikes it launches; their losses. The losses do not seem to be holding back the guerrillas.
The fall of Marib, an oil-rich province, would be a disaster for the government and its key ally, Saudi Arabia.
Also yesterday, an army officer told AFP that 28 members of a tribe fighting alongside government forces and seven members of the security forces had been killed south of Marib in fighting with the Houthis, believed to be close to Iran.
The Riyadh alliance announced yesterday that it was moving forces from the south and redeploying them, assuring that it would not withdraw.
Sources close to the Yemeni government forces told the Reuters news agency that troops and vehicles had withdrawn from a large base in Bureika, taking with them heavy artillery and other material. Some of the forces and equipment were airlifted and some were loaded on warships, according to the same sources.
A spokesman for the alliance, Saudi General Turki al-Maliki, said the “reshuffle” was decided on the basis of “operational and tactical considerations”, while denying “non-existent rumors” that Riyadh was withdrawing its ground troops.
The development was recorded while international diplomatic efforts are underway to declare a ceasefire.
The conflict of more than seven years in the poorest country of the Arabian Peninsula has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of people, the vast majority of civilians, and displaced millions more, according to international aid organizations. According to the UN, the worst humanitarian catastrophe in the world is unfolding in Yemen in recent years.
Source From: Capital