The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed that “several attacks on health centers” in Ukraine had been carried out. The entity also said that it is investigating other military offensives against hospitals in the country.
The director-general of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said through social media on Sunday (6) that the attacks caused several deaths and injuries.
“Attacks on health facilities or workers violate medical neutrality and are violations of international humanitarian law,” he said.
In his brief post, Tedros did not mention Russia by name, which began an invasion of Ukraine on February 24.
.@WHO has confirmed several attacks on health care in #Ukraine, causing multiple deaths and injuries. Additional reports are being investigated. Attacks on healthcare facilities or workers breach medical neutrality and are violations of international humanitarian law. #NotATarget https://t.co/Wdc2jeoHIB
— Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (@DrTedros) March 6, 2022
Shortly after the first Russian troops arrived in Ukraine, the WHO expressed concern about a possible health emergency in the country.
“WHO Europe is working closely with all UN partners to rapidly increase readiness to respond to the expected health emergency triggered by the conflict, protecting our staff and minimizing disruptions to the delivery of critical health services,” the organization said in a statement. a statement at the time.
Source: CNN Brasil
I’m James Harper, a highly experienced and accomplished news writer for World Stock Market. I have been writing in the Politics section of the website for over five years, providing readers with up-to-date and insightful information about current events in politics. My work is widely read and respected by many industry professionals as well as laymen.