For the second day in a row, Argentina recorded a record number of SARS-CoV-2 cases in 24 hours, as 22,039 infections were confirmed, bringing the total to 2,450,068, according to data released by the Ministry of Health on Wednesday.
At the same time, the deaths of 199 other COVID-19 patients have raised the tide of the new coronavirus pandemic in Latin America to 56,832, according to the same source.
In the province of Buenos Aires and the Federal District alone, 13,500 cases have been confirmed. The province of Buenos Aires, the most populous country in the country, remains the epicenter of the pandemic, with 1,037,954 recorded infections.
As for the immunization campaign, which started on December 29, 4.7 million doses of vaccine have been administered.
The government of President Alberto Fernandes, faced with the second wave of the pandemic, yesterday imposed new restrictions, such as a curfew from midnight to six in the morning, banning workers who are not considered absolutely necessary to use public transport in the Buenos Aires, the reduction of opening hours of bars and restaurants, which will close at 23:00, as well as the suspension of casinos, gambling halls and nightclubs in areas with the highest rates of infection.
Indoor sports activities with the participation of more than 10 people were also banned.
Mr Fernandez, 62, who revealed at the weekend that he was an asymptomatic carrier of the new coronavirus – despite receiving both doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine – said he was trying to strike a delicate balance between protecting public health and the economy. He promised that the schools would remain open “as much as possible”.
The president said his experience showed “how important the vaccine is” – it has no serious symptoms of COVID-19 – and promised to step up the immunization campaign.
Peru: Record 314 deaths and over 9,300 cases in 24 hours
In Peru, 314 deaths of COVID-19 patients were recorded in 24 hours, the heaviest daily report so far since the outbreak of the new coronavirus pandemic in the Andean state, the Ministry of Health announced yesterday Wednesday, four days before the elections.
Peruvians are called to the polls Sunday to elect a new president and a new parliament. The caretaker government of caretaker President Francisco Sagasti has ruled out postponing the vote, although Peru is facing a second wave of pandemics.
According to official figures, the death toll has risen to 53,725 since the first case of SARS-CoV-2 was detected in Peru 13 months ago.
The previous macabre record was set on Saturday, when 294 deaths were announced.
In the past 24 hours, 9,305 cases of SARS-CoV-2 were confirmed, with the total number of infected people exceeding 1.6 million (exactly 1,607,898), according to official data.
The epidemiological situation has not stopped deteriorating recently in Peru. Over the past two months, the average death rate of COVID-19 patients has been around 200. It exceeded 245 last week.
Authorities launched an immunization campaign on February 9 using doses of Chinese vaccines. The first phase of the campaign involved medical and medical staff, the military, police, firefighters and the elderly.
The government aims to immunize some 25 million people – out of a total population of 33 million – but the campaign is moving slowly.
Former professional footballer George Forsyth became the third candidate for the presidency on Sunday who was diagnosed with the new coronavirus. Mr. Forsyth, a right-wing candidate, immediately suspended all appearances at public rallies scheduled in the last week before the election and is in solitary confinement at his home.
Brazil: Over 3,800 deaths and over 92,000 cases in 24 hours
The Brazilian Ministry of Health announced yesterday Wednesday that in the previous 24 hours another 3,829 deaths of patients with COVID-19 occurred, while 92,625 cases of SARS-CoV-2 were confirmed.
According to official data, the pandemic count of the new coronavirus in the largest Latin American country has so far reached 340,776 deaths out of a total of about 13.2 million infections.
Dealing with the health crisis is becoming increasingly chaotic in the country of 212 million people where the pandemic is on the rise and experts fear that April will be even worse than March, when there was a tragic record of more than 60,000 deaths.
South Korea: 700 cases and 2 deaths in 24 hours
Authorities in South Korea announced today that 700 cases of SARS-CoV-2 had been confirmed in the past 24 hours, most since January 7, while two other COVID-19 patients had died in the same period. Rising new coronavirus infections have prompted Prime Minister Chong Xie-goon to warn again that more action will be needed.
The pandemic count in the Southeast Asian country has reached this stage with 1,758 deaths out of a total of 107,598 infections. The mortality rate is 1.63%.
The cases reported today are dramatically higher than last week’s average (477), based on data from the South Korean Office of Disease Control and Prevention (KDCA). The previous day, 688 had been recorded, amid concerns that the country was facing a fourth wave of the pandemic.
The South Korean prime minister reiterated that the threatened new wave could cause problems in the immunization program, which is already delayed as the COVAX mechanism, led by the World Health Organization, finds it difficult to deliver the promised doses of vaccines on time.
On Wednesday, Seoul announced that it was temporarily suspending the AstraZeneca vaccine to citizens under the age of 60. It authorized the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which is given in a single dose, as a matter of urgency in an effort to speed up the campaign.
New restrictive measures are expected to be announced tomorrow, Friday, according to government officials.