Google has released a new version of the desktop operating system Chrome OS 92. Among the main innovations, we can note the addition of eSIM support. Currently, eSIM Chromebooks support Acer Chromebook Spin 513 (cover) and Acer Chromebook 511.
There is a new emoji selection interface that will be convenient for users of physical keyboards and non-touch laptops. It is called from the context menu or through the combination Search / Launcher + Shift + Space. A text search is available, but so far only in English.
Google Meet video conferencing service is now preinstalled in Chrome OS 92 and can be launched from the list of applications. Google did not forget about competitors: for Zoom, a PWA application was prepared with more performance and less storage usage.
Also presented was a set of wallpapers “Togetherness” prepared by black designers.
- Added support for Switch devices for people with disabilities.
- The shooting app now supports external PTZ cameras, horizontal direction, tilt and zoom can be controlled.
- Android and Linux applications can be pinned to specific virtual desktops.
- Voice input can be used for lengthy dictation.
- Fixed hotkeys for managing virtual desktops on layouts other than US.
Chrome OS is installed and distributed only on Chromebooks, but Chromium OS builds are available for other PCs, such as CloudReady from Neverware, which was bought by Google in December 2020.