US President Joe Biden said on Sunday (22) that he was “praying for those killed and wounded in the shooting” in Monterey Park, California. On social media, he said he is closely following the developments of the attack.
“Jill and I are praying for the dead and injured in the Monterey Park shooting. I am monitoring this situation as it develops and urge the public to follow the guidance of local authorities,” the president wrote.
Jill and I are praying for those killed and injured in last night’s deadly mass shooting in Monterey Park.
I’m monitoring this situation closely as it develops, and urge the community to follow guidance from local officials and law enforcement in the hours ahead.
—President Biden (@POTUS) January 22, 2023
At least 10 people were killed and 10 others were injured in a shooting at a nightclub in Monterey Park, Calif., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
According to Capt. Andrew Meyer, the shooting suspect fled the scene and is at large. The motive for the attack is still unclear.
“There are at least 10 additional victims who have been transported to various local hospitals and are listed in various conditions from stable to critical,” added Meyer.
The shooting took place near the Monterey Park Lunar New Year festival area, which was scheduled to run until 9:00 pm (local time) on Saturday (21) on Garvey Avenue, between Garfield and Alhambra avenues.
According to the White House, President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris were briefed on the attack. The FBI investigates the shooting.
Past Lunar New Year events in the city have drawn crowds estimated at more than 100,000 people from across Southern California, according to the city. It is not clear how many people were still gathered in the area when the shots were fired.
Monterey Park is a town in the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles County, about seven miles from downtown Los Angeles.
What is known about the shooting
- The attack took place at 10:22 pm local time at a nightclub near a Lunar New Year celebration in Monterey Park, California. Ten people were killed.
- Monterey Park is a town in the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles County. The studio is located in the 100 block of West Garvey Avenue, between Garfield and Alhambra avenues in the community.
- Police said the shooter was a male and the motive for the attack was unclear. Authorities did not release the description of the suspect.
- Another 10 injured victims were hospitalized and “have been transported to various local hospitals and are listed in various conditions from stable to critical,” according to the sheriff’s department.
- The FBI’s Los Angeles office joined the sheriff’s department and the Monterey Park Police in the investigation.
- Monterey Park has canceled Lunar New Year events that were due to take place this Sunday on the streets near the nightclub.
Source: CNN Brasil
Bruce Belcher is a seasoned author with over 5 years of experience in world news. He writes for online news websites and provides in-depth analysis on the world stock market. Bruce is known for his insightful perspectives and commitment to keeping the public informed.