untitled design

Malaysia says search for flight MH370 must continue, 10 years after plane's disappearance

Malaysia is defending a new search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, the Transport Minister said on Sunday (3), as the 10th anniversary of the plane's disappearance, one of the biggest mysteries in world aviation, approaches.

Flight MH370, a Boeing 777 with 227 passengers and 12 crew, disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

Initially, Malaysian investigators did not rule out the possibility that the aircraft had been deliberately diverted from its course, and debris, some confirmed and some believed to be from the aircraft, appeared along the coast of Africa and on islands in the Indian Ocean.

Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke said US deep-sea exploration company Ocean Infinity had been invited to discuss its latest search proposal after two previous failed attempts.

“The Malaysian government is committed to the search (for MH370) and the search must continue,” Loke said at an event on the plane’s disappearance on Sunday.

Malaysia hired Ocean Infinity in 2018 to search the southern Indian Ocean, offering to pay up to $70 million if the team found the plane.

Malaysia, China and Australia ended a two-year fruitless search in 2017 that consumed more than US$130 million.

Loke said Malaysia will talk to Australia about cooperation to resume the search once the Ocean Infinity proposal is approved by Malaysia's cabinet.

VPR Nathan, whose wife Anne Daisy was on board the flight, said Ocean Infinity's proposal, which includes a “no find, no fee” option, is welcome.

“We want the search to continue, but we also have to be realistic. We cannot expect the government to spend billions (on the search),” Nathan said.

Jiang Hui, a Chinese national whose mother was a passenger on MH370, called on Malaysia to provide relatives with the latest information it receives.

“As long as there is communication, we can avoid misunderstandings,” said Jiang, who is among family members who have filed a lawsuit in China demanding compensation over the plane’s disappearance.

A Beijing court began compensation hearings in November.

More than 150 Chinese passengers were on the flight and their families are demanding compensation from Malaysia Airlines, Boeing, aircraft engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce and the Allianz insurance group, among others.

Source: CNN Brasil

You may also like

Get the latest

Stay Informed: Get the Latest Updates and Insights

 

Most popular